Friday, August 8, 2008

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Cards


I not only collect baseball cards, I also collect non-sports cards. One advantage to non-sports cards is the sets are a lot smaller. 2008 Upper Deck set is 800 cards. 2008 Topps is 660. The basic Clone Wars set is 90. There are also 25 special cards. I am doing this post in the style of my favorite baseball card blog, A Pack A Day. What makes a good non-sports pack? If you are dealing with baseball cards, a good pack will contain star players and players from your favorite team. With non-sports, a good pack will contain stars of the movie, special cards, or cards that you need to finish your set. For Star Wars a good pack will have Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Won Kenobi, or Yoda. Lets see what we get.



A good start. The first 18 cards of the set are character cards. This is standard for most movie sets. Usually card 1 will be what the movie is and card 90 will be a checklist. This movie is all CGI so those who disliked Hayden Christensen's acting should be pleased. He is not even doing Anakin's voice.


The back of each card describes a little of the movie. I have not read them yet because I don't want to spoil the movie for me or anyone else who is reading this. This is card number 57, so this scene takes place in about the middle of the movie.



This is a new character introduced in this movie. She is Anakin's padawan.


Here is something I have never seen in a pack before. This is card 1. As you can see we have Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin. What I have never seen before card 1, card 2, Anakin, and card 3, Ahsoka all in one pack. The mathematical odds against that are high, but here it is.


Another seen from the movie, card 51 again from the middle.


Count Dooku returns and he is voiced by Christopher Lee. More from the middle of the movie, this is card 47


Again a scene, and another oddity. This is card 46. With 90 cards in the set it is odd to have two sets of consecutive numbers.


This is the back of card 1. I figured it was safe to show that and give you an example of what the backs look like. How does this pack rate? It is a good one. We have Anakin on 2 cards, Yoda and Obi-Wan on a card, and a card of Count Dooku. However, I did not need any of these cards so it was a little disappointing.

The rest of the cards I am going to show are examples of the special cards.


There are 10 animation cel cards. You can't tell from the picture, but when holding the card the background is opaque and it is a cool effect. I have 3 of these cards.


There are 10 foil cards. Again, the picture doesn't show it well, but the card has a metallic type of surface. I have 6 of these.


This is a motion card. You can't tell from this but the card has a 3-D effect. When you turn it it moves and gives you the effect of a light saber fight. From seeing these cards, I am really looking forward to this movie.

No comments: