Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Religious Discrimination?

The Tesco chain in Great Britain is being accused of religious discrimination. The claim is being made by the Jedi Church. There actually is a religion based on the Star Wars movies. The founder of the religion, Daniel Jones, says he was stopped by store management and told to remove his hood or leave the store. According to Jones when appearing in public, Jedi are required to have their heads covered. I checked on their website and found no mention of it. There must be a handbook somewhere that explains it, but it isn't on-line.

I am not sure why Tesco has a policy about head coverings. There are a few religions who do practice it. For that matter, I wear a hat if I am going to be out for a long time. I have noticed that the top of my head gets sunburned if I don't. (I am still trying to figure out how that happens.) Regardless of the reasons why, Tesco did point out an interesting thing about Jedi. If you watch the movies there are instances of the Jedi being out in public without their hoods. Personally, I don't have a problem with the Jedi religion. I do think they are carrying it a little to far with the head covering issue.
The Anglo-Saxons were defeated at the Battle Of Hastings.
Today's question is Grade 3/Literature.

In Norse mythology, who is Thor's father and the greatest of all Norse gods?
Being a good comic book fan, I knew this one. 141-22.

1 comment:

Travis said...

Answer: Odin

They should have told him only Sith Lords would be worried about keeping their hoods up.