Monday, February 25, 2008

Buying comics again--Wahoo!!!!

In case you missed my subtle hint in the title, I am happy to be buying comic books again. I have been able to afford them since December, but I waited until now due to my car. There is not a comic book store in Calhoun, so my choices were driving to either Dalton or Rome. My old car probably would have made it, but it would have put a strain on it, the transmission is slipping slightly, and it is a gas guzzler, so I chose to wait until I had my new car. Last Wednesday I went to the Fantasy Factory in Dalton. I had planned on spending $100, I have some catching up to do. I ended up spending almost $150. I missed my mark, but I did get some great books. When it comes to comics, I prefer DC to Marvel. I buy books from both, but DC is my favorite. That will be obvious when I list the books I bought. The new books I got were:

The Spirit 13 and 14
Booster Gold 0
The Death Of The New Gods 5 and 6
The Brave And The Bold 10
Green Lantern 27
Infinity Inc. 6
Flash 237
Justice League Of America 18
Suicide Squad 6
Superman 673
Justice Society Of America 12
Legion Of Super-Heroes 38
The Twelve 2

All of those books are DC except for The Twelve, which is Marvel. I won't be reading The Twelve until I get number 1, which I believe the second printing will be out this week. I am not the type of collector that has to have the first print of everything. I just want to read the story. There were several other titles I wanted, but they were out of them. Two Marvel titles I definitely want are Thor and Captain America. I will also be adding all the Star Wars titles from Dark Horse Comics, but I had spent enough so I will get them this week. I also picked up some trade paperbacks. I bought:

52 Volume 1
Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born
Star Wars Legacy Vol. 1 Broken
Fables: Sons Of Empire

Fables is my favorite title. They were sold out of the regular issue, but this trade paperback covers some of the issues I have missed. 52 covers major changes in the DC Universe so I will get those in trade form. They are now doing a follow-up series, Countdown, which I will buy the first three trades as they become available, but I will be picking those up weekly as the series winds down. I also picked up some back issues. I am not going to list them other than I did get Mystery Men comics 1-4. I love the movie and I am looking forward to reading these. I will do reviews of the books later. I have missed buying new comics weekly. I have been able to follow what has been going on thanks to my friends on the Captain Comics board, but it is so much more fun to read them yourself.


Todays Distinguished Service card, Monte Irvin. The card says: "Monte fought for the United States Army years before African-Americans were allowed to 'Go to war' with teammates in Major League Baseball. A star with the Negro League's Newark Eagles and in the Mexican League- and later a member of the NL All-Star team with the New York Giants. Irvin served in the U.S. Army from '42 until '45. The star left fielder was elected to the Hall Of Fame in '73."

3 comments:

Rob S. said...

Welcome back to the active comic-readin' fold, Howard!

Alexandra Kitty said...

Some great titles there, Howard. Booster Gold, Green Lantern, JSA, The Brave amd the Bold, and The Spirit are awesome reads.

Jinxo56 said...

Thanks Rob and Alexandra. It is great to be able to keep up with everyone again.