Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hard Boiled Eggs, Anyone?


When I started this blog in November 2007 the fourth and fifth posts were about disgusting foods. Some people consider hard boiled eggs disgusting, but many do like them. Personally they are not my favorite, but turn them into deviled eggs and I like them. So what makes them disgusting? The way there are prepared in the province of Zhejiang, China. There they boil them in urine. The eggs are considered a delicacy, and supposedly will stop fevers and revive you if you are feeling sluggish. Incidentally the urine that is used comes from boys 10 years old and younger. It is collected in schools. You can read more about it here and here.

Onto another food topic, but this time not disgusting. Do you eat fat free desserts? Some researchers are starting to conclude that fat free is worse for you than the regular versions. It seems that the process used to make it fat free involves chemicals that can be more harmful than they realized. I have always felt that fat free translated into taste free. The key has always been moderation which is the hardest thing to do. There is no miracle pill that will shed the pounds, and the fad diets will work in the short term but once you stop you go right back to your original weight if not heavier. My doctor keeps after me to drop some weight. I am struggling with that so we will see how it goes. If anyone suggests a boiled egg diet I might be tempted to tell them, if not show them, what they can do with that diet.

No comments: