Monday, April 11, 2011

Loving The Customer.


I have touched on this subject before. 90 to 95% of the customers I deal with are very nice people. I really enjoy helping out, but then there are those who you would really like to give a good swift kick in the butt.

Saturday night I actually got out of the cold. The aisle I was stocking had salad dressings, condiments, pickles, and ethnic foods, which is mainly Mexican and a small Oriental section. There is a four foot section of Mexican dried peppers and spices. If you have never seen them they come in cello bags and look like this:



A man was looking at them. He would pull one off the peg hook, look at it, and dropped the bag on the bottom shelf. He repeated that process about five times. We have enough work to do without someone creating more for us. Of course I had to bite my tongue and not say anything. There also is a possibility that even if I had said something he would not have understood me. I won't guarantee that he could speak English.

A couple of weeks ago when I was working in frozen foods we had a man who was complaining because we did not have any Tai Pei Cashew Chicken.


I looked at the shelf labels and the one for cashew chicken was gone. That meant that we have discontinued that particular item. When I told the man that he complained even more. He asked why did you discontinue such a great selling item. First of all, it was not that great of a seller. Just because it was his favorite didn't mean everyone else agreed. He was not happy when he left. He will now be even unhappier. We are now carrying several new dinners and the section was reset. Cashew chicken is still gone. I am sure I will hear about again if I see him.

To paraphrase an old saying, "Customers, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em." Fortunately, it really is the minority who are major pains in the derriere.

No comments: