Thursday, April 14, 2011
The Tale Of The Drunken Baby.
A couple of weeks ago I was lamenting about how our kids are getting out of control these days. Now we have the story about a drunken 15 month old in an Applebee's in Madison Heights, Michigan. Don't you just hate it when toddlers belly up to the bar and demand service? Actually the boy was given apple juice in a sippy cup. When he started talking to the walls and then went to sleep at the table his mom became a concerned. She tasted the apple juice and found out it was a margarita instead. The manager did apologize for it but didn't know what else he could do. If he hasn't already, he could pay the bill for the emergency room where it was discovered the boy had a blood alcohol level of .1, which did make him legally drunk.
I have read several stories about how this, but most gloss over how the margarita ended up being served. The best explanation is that it was poured into a bottle that was labeled apple juice. Applebee's is investigating. If they can find who put it in the bottle that person should be held accountable, either suspended or fired. In a restaurant everything should be clearly labeled. I don't know what the Michigan law is, but in Georgia health inspectors look for that sort of thing. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.
I do have a tale from my hospital days involving an unlabeled bottle. I cleaned an outpatient dialysis unit in Springfield,Illinois. They had an open house so one of our guys was sent over to buff the floor so everything looked great. He used an unmarked bottle which he thought was spray buff solution, and the floor looked great. Unfortunately our spray buff solution and spray polish looked and smelled identical. The floor looked great but was as slick as ice. We all got a lecture after that about never using an unlabeled bottle.