Thursday, April 7, 2011

Unhappy Meals.


First San Francisco, now New York City. In December in San Francisco, any meal sold with a toy has to be less than 600 calories and no more than 35% fat. If City Councilman Leroy Comrie has his way, New York City will do it too. Comrie admits that he has poor eating habits, looking at his picture in that article shows the truth of that statement, and he feels that it is his job to protect the children.

Personally, I have a problem with that. How are the children getting these Happy Meals? Are they out there working in sweat shops so they can purchase these irresistible goodies? Are they standing in front of McDonalds with cardboard signs begging for money? If I am not mistaken, I believe it is their parents who are purchasing these items. Do we really need a law to tell them how to raise their children? If a parent decides to buy a Happy Meal for their child, they should not be condemned. The only way that would be a problem is if that is the only thing the children are eating.

Every time I see my doctor he tells me the same two things, I need to lose weight and quit drinking soda. I will agree that I could lose a few pounds, but I am not extremely overweight. When I had the flu I lost 15 pounds in two days. Since then I have lost a couple more, but I am not going to obsess over my weight. When She Who Left In The Middle Of The Night was here, I thought she was a member of the Diet Of The Month club. There is no magic formula which those diets try to instill in people. The key is eating sensibly, which is not as easy as some people claim. It is always easy to tell someone else how to live their life.

The obesity problem in this country is not because fast food franchises put toys in their meals. Too many people allow television and video games to be their babysitters. They let their children sit in front of the tube instead of sending them outside to play. Schools are being forced to end physical education because of their budgets. How about instead of passing laws like this one, we figure out how much they would cost and we give that money to schools, designating it for physical education? This country is based on freedom. Let's give the parents the freedom to decide what to feed their children.

No comments: