Monday, July 18, 2011

Electronics.

I have waited a while before really discussing my new job. For one thing, I fully expected at least once to be pulled out of electronics and sent to work in frozen food or dairy. The jacket that I wore while working in those departments is still in the trunk of my car. I didn't want to bring it into my apartment until I was sure that I would not be sent back there. The jacket is coming inside later today.

I really enjoy going to work again. I never hated working frozen foods or dairy, but I was just getting physically worn out. The workload that I now have is no way near as demanding as before. Occasionally there are nights where I have a lot of freight deal with, but a majority of the time what I have to put out is very light weight. When I worked electronics for Kmart, the largest television that we sold was a 36 inch set. It took up almost an entire pallet by itself, and you needed two people to lift it. Now I can pick up a TV that size by myself and take it to the shelf.

The reason why I am fairly certain that I won't get pulled back to the grocery side, is that I am now trained to run a cash register. That is something they have wanted done for a while, but could not convince the person who worked the department before me. She is upset that they have taken her out of the department, but it is basically her own fault. She used to be friendly with me, but that has changed. I don't let it bother me, she is the one that has to deal with.

My duties now consist of stocking the department, straightening the department, putting back all the merchandise that managed to wander around the store, opening shoes, assisting customers, and answering the phone. With shoes, all I have to do is open the cases. Where the case is an assortment I have to take those out of the larger box and put them on a cart. As you can see, there is nothing there that is very strenuous.

Saturday night the prank caller was asking a lot of stupid questions about televisions. They wanted to know what size we carried and which one was best for their game system. I played along for a little bit with them, and then told him they just needed to come in and see what we had. A second caller wanted to be transferred to the fitting room in our fashion area. When I told her that there was no one there, she asked me what my name was. When I told her that she told me that I had a nice name, and that I had a sexy voice. I told her thank you and hung up on her. They tried again last night, but made the call while I was at break. They called three times. The first time they said they had an upset stomach and wanted to know what the largest bottle of Pepto-Bismol was that we had. They called back and asked about the largest bottle of Maalox that we had, and they described the discomfort that they were in. TMI. They then called a third time, and the person who was watching the department called the manager and had her pick up on on the phone. After our manager talked to them, there were no more calls.

No comments: