Thursday, July 28, 2011

Seeing the Ocean.

I left early Sunday morning with the only plan being to be in Kingsland, Georgia, by Sunday night. I took I-75 to Tifton, Georgia. At that point I got off the interstate and enjoyed the scenery, leading to Kingsland. When traveling, I am not one of those who gets behind the wheel and doesn't stop until you get to your destination. I try not drive more than an hour without stopping for a few minutes. I headed east until I came to Waycross, Georgia, where I turned south.  I considered making a little detour just south of Waycross when I saw the entrance to the Okefenokee Swamp. However, by then I was tired from driving and Kingsland was only about 20 miles away, so I went on. At some point I will go back there.

I asked at a gift shop in Kingsland, where the best place to go to see the ocean was. The lady there told me to go to Fernandina Beach, which is just across the Florida state line. I arrived at the beach at about eight o'clock in the morning. The sky had been overcast when I left Kingsland, but that was clearing up when I arrived at Fernandina Beach. There were not a lot of people there at that time. I spent a few minutes, just gazing at it, taking in as much as I could. Then I walked to where the water was rolling in. At that point I took my shoes off and stood in the water. The picture you see above was taken while I was in the water. I didn't go very far out, just enough to where the water was around my ankles. I really enjoyed doing that, and at some point will try and go back again.

The picture you see here is something that I didn't expect to find. Some poor crab out there in the ocean is missing one of his claws. Actually he's probably missing a whole lot more than that.

I never thought about people walking their dogs along the ocean, but I saw several of them there.

I believe the picture here is some kind of crab. I saw a couple of them on the beach. I spent about an hour there and was getting ready to leave when I checked the pictures that I had taken. The first picture that I checked said, the file wasn't formatted so I assumed that that the memory card that I was using was defective.
The card I was using was given to me by a friend. He'd given me two of them, so I inserted the other, and went took some more pictures. I checked and those came out fine so I went on. When I got home I checked the card that I thought was defective and found out only that last picture had been so I have plenty of pictures of the beach. I have opened a Flickr account and you can see all the pictures that I took here. If you notice when you see them that the date the pictures were taken was January 2005, ignore that. I have never set the date on the camera. When I left the beach my goal was to go to Tallahassee, and then on to the Gulf of Mexico. That plan was changed when I stopped at a rest stop on I-10 before I got to Tallahassee. I'll tell you about that tomorrow.

No comments: