Thursday, October 6, 2011

Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunition.



The U.S. 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta, Georgia, will be hearing arguments today concerning a Georgia state law that forbids carrying guns into places of worship. An organization called Georgia Carry is claiming that that law is illegal. To support their case they have used three examples were there were shootings in churches. None of their examples occurred in the state of Georgia. Also mentioned is the fact that some churches have large amounts of cash. They are claiming that it should be up to the individual churches and not the state to make that decision. Personally, I don't have a problem with the law. I am not against people carrying guns as long as they have applied for and been granted the proper permits. However, I do not feel church is a place that they need to be armed. Yes, it was tragic where those shooting incidents happened, but one point that they are missing is had the people in those churches been armed, the body count might've been even higher. Friendly fire anyone? It does happen, especially in a situation that moves as fast as shootings do.

Before today I had never heard about Georgia Carry. After spending a little bit of time on their website. I am almost scared of them as I am the armed criminals. One of their members protested about having his carry permit checked at a national park. He was clearly carrying a handgun and the Park Ranger wanted to see his permit. According to him, that was a violation of his rights and he protested and actually received a ruling in his favor. Now anyone carrying in one of the parks will not be stopped, which basically means all a criminal has to do is not conceal his weapon and he won't have to worry about it. This organization is so worried about tragedy happening in churches that they are stopping to consider the tragedies that could happen in national parks. I hope that the court rules in favor of the state and the ban on guns in churches is not lifted. The odds of guns being needed is very slim, and having people carry guns in their legally will not make them any safer.

For the record, I do not own a gun, nor do I plan on changing that. Growing up I never went hunting, although my dad and both my brothers would from time to time. I never saw any sense of getting out of a warm bed to go stand out in the cold woods.

No comments: