Thursday, January 26, 2012

Topps American Pie, Part 2.


My plan for this set has changed dramatically. Originally I figured I would just select five cards or so, post scans of them here, and move on. Instead, this will be an ongoing project and I'm not exactly sure yet how many parts it will contain. I will not be posting on these daily, but there will be at least two posts a week until I cover them all. Right now, I do not have a full set, but hope to correct that shortly. I remember learning about the Doomsday Clock in grade school. The clock was originally set at seven minutes to midnight. I wasn't sure if they still used the clock. It still is being used and the current time is five minutes to midnight. Hopefully, the world leaders can come to some kind of agreement and the clock will no longer be necessary. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen. I really don't look that good in blue.



In 1948 Polaroid introduced the first instant camera. For the first time people could actually take a picture and have it complete in a few minutes. They called it the model 95, named for its price of $95. Polaroid kept improving upon the camera. But, of course, as digital took over the need for instant pictures dramatically dropped. In 2008 Polaroid got out of business altogether. The company has fallen on hard times and has twice filed for bankruptcy in the last 10 years.



The first credit card came into existence because a businessman forgot his wallet. He was at a restaurant, and his wife bailed him out. He came up with Diners Club and the rest as they say, is history.


When pagers first came out they were only available to doctors. They weren't approved for everyone's use until 1958. While no way near as common as they once were, they still are used today.


A professor in Turkey ran a computer program and determine that April 11, 1954 was the most boring day in the 20th century. The conclusion was achieved because there were no major events that happened on that day.

No comments: