Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Respectfully Disagree.

Three weeks ago I talked about how I felt that Michael Vick deserved a second chance and should be allowed to resume his football career. In the comments I recieved from that that two of my friends, Dana and Jeff, both expressed the opinion that Pete Rose should also be forgiven and allowed into the Baseball Hall Of Fame. I understand where they are coming from, but I disagree with them.

If you only base belonging to the Hall Of Fame, there is no doubt that he should be there. No one has more hits, played in more games, went to bat more times, and made more outs than he did. I know that last one is a negative statistic, but that comes with longevity. There is no doubt with all he accomplished he should be in. However, baseball has one major commandment, Thou shalt not bet on baseball games. To borrow from Hamlet, "ay, there's the rub".

Gambling had been around baseball in the early days, but never on the scale as the 1919 World Series. I have supplied a link to Wikipedia. As with most articles there, it gives a fairly good overview of what happened. 8 members of the Chicago White Sox conspired to throw the Series. They were acquitted after a trial, but the newly appointed Commissioner of Baseball, Judge Kennesaw Mountain Landis, banned them for life. It was an example for all the players of the consequences of gambling. Ever since then it has been stressed to players you do not bet on baseball games.

When originally confronted by the betting allegations Rose of course denied them. Baseball Commissioner Bart Giamatti hired attorney John M. Dowd to investigate. Dowd found that Rose bet on Reds games in 1986, 1987, and 1988. Rose continued to deny that. The matter was headed for Federal Court when Rose cut a deal. He agreed to be placed permanently on baseballs ineligible list. He never admitted why and baseball didn't push the matter. For almost 15 years he continued to lie and claim he never bet on baseball. Then as his eligibility for the Hall Of Fame was running out he wrote a book. I tried to find out how much he was paid for it, but I wasn't able to, but he never admitted gambling on baseball until he was paid for it. I do believe him when he said he never bet against the Reds, but he now fully admits to breaking that commandment.

Had Pete come clean at the time the allegations came out, I would be more forgiving. Since he chose to lie for all those years and only admitted it as a desperate chance to get into the Hall, I do not believe he deserves to get in. As a baseball player, you do not bet on the games for any reason. Dana and Jeff, I understand and respect your reasons for him getting in. This in mine as to why he should not.
A double bar at the end of a measure signifies the end of the piece of music.
Today's question is Grade 5/U.S. History.

In 1876, "Custer's Last Stand" took place during what battle?
I knew this one. 133-21.

2 comments:

Rob S. said...

I guess I don't understand why you have to be a moral exemplar to be honored by the hall of fame... when people like Ty Cobb certainly weren't.

Jeff said...

It's alright, Howard! I love ya anyway.

And I guess I'm very much in agreement with Rob. The Hall of Fame already has alcoholics and wife beaters in there. I'd take a guy who bet on the game--and will grant you that it's very wrong--over a wife beater any day.