Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Last Days Of Krypton.

When Jerry Siegel and Jerome Shuster first created Superman they told us only that his home planet Krypton had exploded and that Superman had been rocketed out of there when he was an infant. Since then comic book writers have created several different versions of what happened. Now we have a novel giving us yet another story of the events leading up to the destruction of Krypton.

With a character like Superman, who has been around for 70 years, you have the option of choosing what stories fit your mold of what Superman and his universe consists of. If you don't like a story, fine, it never happened. There are a lot of Superman stories that I have done that with. As for this book, in my Superman universe this is what happened to Krypton. This book is heavily influenced by the movie Superman II, but that doesn't hurt it in the least.

Kevin Anderson kept shifting things around on me. I thought I knew what direction he was headed in with the story but he went another way. My only complaint about the book was I didn't want it to end. All the elements of the Superman story are here. We learn how his parents Jor-El and Lara, met. We learn why Zod hated Jor-El. The answer to why Ursa and Non from Superman follow Zod is here. I knew what the ending would be, but the cause of Krypton's destruction was brilliant. If you are a Superman fan, I strongly recommend you read this. Obviously there can be no sequel, but I would love to read a prequel involving the Kryptonian warlord Jax-Ur, who plays a role in this book. that is quite a feat for a man who had been dead 1000 years.

The book I am currently reading is The Dark Half by Stephen King.

No comments: