Monday, November 10, 2008

Reading Time.

I love to read. When I was in grade school my Dad told me that I should get much better grades than I did because of my reading ability. He was right, but I wasn't interested in reading what my teachers wanted me to. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't do better in school.

When it comes to reading I don't have a favorite genre, although if I had to pick one mysteries would top the list. Some time soon I am going to post my ten favorite detectives, one at a time and in reverse order. I have the list made, I just have to write the entries.

I keep a book in my locker at work and read on my breaks and lunches. I mentioned a couple of days ago about reading a book of newspaper columns. I finished that book last night and then I started a book my friend from Illinois gave me for my birthday. It is The Last Days Of Krypton by Kevin J. Anderson. I only read a couple of chapters last night and I like it so far. It is a novel that takes the Superman legend and tells the story of his home planet. A lot of comic book stories have been written about Krypton and this book tries to give a definitive history. When I finish it I will write a review.

I also listen to books on tape when I am in my car. Currently I am listening to The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. I mentioned this book earlier. The movie Gettysburg is based on it. The tape is the unabridged version, which I found at a Salvation Army Thrift Store for only $1.99. My inner Jack Benny did cartwheels over that deal. My friend in Illinois always claimed listening to books on tape does not count the same as reading them, but I disagree. A lot of the books are abridged, but you still get the main story. Since my work commute is only 5 minutes it can take some time to get through a book.

I also usually read for about half an hour before going to bed. That usually consists of several comic books or magazines. Future posts will talk about the books I collect.

No comments: