Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger.



Yesterday I went and saw the fourth superhero movie of the summer. Out of the four movies, this is the one that I was least looking forward to. That doesn't mean that I did not want to see it, I just wanted to see the other three more. I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I expected to. In fact, I now rank this as my third favorite of all the Marvel movies. This is an incredibly fun movie, with plenty of nods to us comic book fans. The basic origin story is very close to the comic books with a few minor additions that didn't hurt at all.

The movie is set during World War II, but instead of fighting the Nazi's Captain America is fighting an evil organization from the Marvel comic books, Hydra. They are led by his arch enemy from the comics, the Red Skull. In the original comics Hydra did not exist until the 1960s. I have no problem with them appearing here, in fact, it made it a better movie than had Cap been actually fighting the war. Hugo Weaving was great as the Skull. Weaving is always great as a villain. Chris Evans also did a great job playing Captain America. This is not Evans first time in a Marvel movie, he also played Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four movies.

This movie sets up what looks to be like one of the big blockbusters of next summer, The Avengers. Of course us comic book fans knew how Captain America went from World War II to the present day. There was a small preview of the Avengers movie after the credits. I am looking forward to seeing that next year.

On a personal note, I have now started a Facebook account. If you are reading this and want to be one of my friends, click here. This is actually just what I needed, another way to waste time on the Internet.

No comments: