Friday, August 19, 2011

Coming Soon to Riverdale.



In November Archie comics will be running a four-part series where the rock band KISS comes to Riverdale. What will they be doing? Fighting monsters, of course. One of Sabrina, the teenage witch's spells goes wrong and Riverdale finds itself inundated with monsters. The Archie gang and KISS team up to defeat them. The storyline starts in Archie comics number 627.  KISS will also be appearing in an ongoing series being published by the comic book company, IDW.  KISS has appeared in comics before, but this will be the first ongoing series they have been in.

This is not the first time that Riverdale has seen an unusual guest. In 1994, Frank Castle came for a visit. For those of you who are not comic book geeks like myself, Frank Castle is better known as the Punisher. It was an interesting story where the Punisher was sent to Riverdale to apprehend someone who looked a lot like Archie. Of course, Archie was mistaken for the man the Punisher was after, and that man was mistaken for Archie. I believe I still have that comic in my collection and someday I need to get organized and find it. Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen, unless you like your face turning a wonderful shade of blue. I will be passing on this series. I have nothing against Archie, but I'm not that big of a KISS fan.

I do have one other Archie comic in my collection. A few years ago they reprinted the very first Archie comic. It was published in digest form, which is smaller than a normal comic book. It was interesting in a nostalgic sort of way, but like a lot of comics from the 40s it wasn't really good. The stories in it were very dated. That one I do know where it is so I think I'll reread it again soon. I'll write about it when I do.

No comments: