Saturday, February 28, 2009

Across The Universe.

Have you ever really wanted to like a movie, but after you watch it you find yourself very disappointed? I love The Beatles music, and I had read good reviews of this movie. When I looked Across The Universe up on the IMDB it was rated 7.6. So what disappointed me so much? The first was this is an anti-war movie, using Vietnam as the background. It could be because of my age, but I don't need any more reminders that war is bad. Not many people find glory in it. Even Robert E. Lee was quoted as saying, "It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." The second problem I have is when you are making a musical the songs need to fit the story. I didn't feel the selection helped tell the story very well. I listened to the commentary track to see if I had misinterpreted anything. Sadly, I had not. I got what writer/director Julie Taymor was trying to tell. (Taymor wrote the story along with Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais. Clement and La Frenais wrote the screenplay.) The music was pleasant enough. They didn't butcher any of the songs, but there only 2 songs that I felt came out well. Bono did a great version of I Am The Walrus, and Eddy Izzard's For The Benefit Of Mr Kite was my favorite of all the songs. This movie is better than 1978's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, but that isn't saying much. My score on the IMDB was a 3.
Al was right. Athens is known as the birthplace of democracy.

The weekend question is Grade 3/Canadian History.

What province in Canada used to be called New France?

American History I am good at, Canadian, well...... I took a guess and missed. After I looked at it I kicked myself. 39-11.

3 comments:

Al Penwasser said...

Just guessing-is it Quebec (that just sounds too easy, though). I know that Nova Scotia is New Scotland but...
I haven't seen Across the Universe, although I'd like to because I like the Beatles. Is it an agenda-driven movie that sacrifices story for the message? I have no real problem with anti-war movies but I'm with you and Robert E. Lee. The whole topic is depressing.
Sgt Peppers...? Ay yay yay. What a hideous movie which, happily, doesn't show up all that much anymore. I think it had a lot to do with the hysteria over Peter Frampton and the BeeGees. They just couldn't make it happen.

Travis said...

I was thinking Quebec as well.

I'm not much of a musical guy so, Across the Universe wasn't anything I was ever interested in. The soundtrack...maybe. Then you mentioned Bono, and that kind of loses me too, never been much of a U2 fan (they are okay).

Jinxo56 said...

They were more interested in making their statement. Listening to the commentary made that clear. It would be better to just listen to some of the Beatles music as it was intended.