Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Knock At The Door.

I was woke up about 6:00 P.M. last night by someone knocking at my door. I realize most people will think that is strange, but if you work third shift it is not. My days off are Tuesday and Wednesday, but I try to keep my sleep schedule, which means bedtime is usually around 2:00 P.M. The person knocking was my son. I had mentioned earlier that he was going through a trying time in his life. At that time I didn't know the full story. He has been giving it to me a little at a time. He is in the process of getting a divorce. The process was almost completed before he told me anything about it. I had a hunch from the start I wasn't being told all. There were too many things that didn't make sense. He was still living with his wife until the divorce was finalized, but she threw him out early. He is currently unemployed, and my oldest daughter had told him if he moved back to Illinois she could get him a job. Since my apartment is too small for him to move in with me, he decided to go ahead and leave for Illinois two weeks early. He will be leaving this morning.

We went out to eat and I went over the route he needs to take to get there. He can't read a map. Fortunately most of the route he has to take is on the Interstate. There are two tricky parts to it which I went over with him several times so he understood. The first is in Chattanooga where he leaves I-75 and picks up I-24. I-24 goes straight into Illinois, but the tricky part is getting through Nashville. There are three Interstates that pass through there and you have to watch to make sure you get on the right one. I would have gone with him and led him through there, but I have to go to work at Taco Bell this morning. I will be home by the time he goes through there and I told him to call me if he has any problems. In a worst case scenario, I will have him stay where he is at and I will go to him and help him get through. It would mean about a six hour round trip for me. Hopefully he will make it on his own. I am going to miss him, but with the economy here this is his best option.


The Cubs took the series from the Astros, winning 11-6 yesterday. Ted Lilly had a shaky start, but Aramis Ramirez came through getting 4 hits in six at-bats and driving in 4 runs. Mike Fontenot also drove in 4. The Cubs are off today and play in Milwaukee Friday night.
There were no guesses on yesterday's question. The noun in that sentence was city. What that has to do with geography is beyond me.
Today's question is Grade 2/U.S. History.

Who was the first black person to play on a major league team?

Of course I knew this one. 69-15.

4 comments:

Travis said...

Jackie Robinson?

Mike Parnell said...

Blessings and prayer for your son, Howard. I hope things work out for him.

Quiggy said...

Sounds like my sister. She goes the same way to work every day. If the road is blocked, she's lost.


I'll bet the answer to today's question is not Moses Fleetwood Walker, although it should have been. Google his name and you can learn what I did from watching Ken Burns' excellent documentary on baseball.

Jeff said...

Wow, that's rough about your son. I'm really sorry about his situation and I hope he can find a new life in Illinois that gives him some success.