Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Banking Again.

A few years ago I made a miscalculation with my debit card. That miscalculation (it was under $5) ended up costing me a lot of money so I quit banking and started paying everything with cash or money orders. I figured that if I ever tried to get another account I would be met at the door by a man with long white hair, a long beard, wearing a robe and holding a staff. He would then hit the floor with the staff and tell me "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!"


Then immediately a few goblins would appear, haul me off deep into the vaults, and I would never be seen again. (Which some people would think would be a good thing.)



Wal-Mart forced my hand and I had to go open an account. As with some other companies, Wal-Mart is going to a paperless pay system. If you do not have direct deposit you will be given a payroll card. That card can be used as a debit card and you are given checks that you can cash at Wal-Mart Money Centers. I decided to go with a checking account. I went to where My Lady banks and talked to them. They had a deal for new accounts where she would get $25 for recommending me and I would also get $25. When I applied I found out my name was already in the system. Instead of being hauled off to the vaults it was for a special deal on a checking account. I did not get the $25. I was forced to take $50. Talk about your offer you can't refuse. There are also a couple of other perks that the bank offers to Wal-Mart employees. I know a lot of people think that Wal-Mart is the Evil Empire, but personally I don't have any beef with them. They are not perfect, but what employer is? Some are also not happy with no paychecks, but there is a major convenience with direct deposit. I may still get one more check, but then no more having to go in and pick up it up. I am looking forward to that.

1 comment:

Caron said...

I thought it was mostly upper management that was difficult, but even that "information" is decades old, I think. Love the 50 bucks!