Saturday, November 14, 2009

Fun With Batman.

A friend of mine was a big Batman collector. He decided to sell his collection and offered it to me. I paid more for it than I planned, which was less than he really wanted. However he probably got more for it from me then he would have if he had sold it anywhere else. The problem with collectibles is no matter what a book says they are worth, the true value is whatever someone is willing to pay you for them.

I am a member of the Captain Comics Board and I decided to start a thread there that I call A Batman A Day. My friend Travis had started one called A Comic A Day so I borrowed his idea, only specializing it. I have three boxes of comics so this project will take quite awhile to get done.

The second book I pulled out was a reprint of the very first issue of Batman. When I read it A few things struck me as being funny. I scanned the pages and I will post the pictures and make comments about them. The picture on the side there is my favorite Batman picture from my favorite story. The artist is Neal Adams. The story, written by Denny O'Neal, was called The Joker's Five Way Revenge and it appeared in Batman 251.




This is the cover of the reprint that I own.




The first thing is a suggestion to aspiring comic book artists. Read carefully what the writer is talking about. As you can see here He calls for a mace.



The artist instead drew a two-headed axe.




I will let Hawkman show you what a mace looks like. If you don't know what one looks like, research it. Otherwise 70 years later you may find some smart@$$ making fun of you on a blog.



I love this pose. I assume that immediately after this Batman went to his chiropractor. That hurts me just looking at it.


This is here for its historic significance. This is the very first drawing of the Joker.

I have always liked reading comic books. Some of them can be exciting and others a little silly. I sometimes find things amusing that others don't. As I go through this Batman project I will scan some of the art and comment on it. I tell people that my hobbies are collecting comic books and baseball cards. I haven't grown up yet and I am too old to do so now.

1 comment:

Al Penwasser said...

I have the first few issues of the remake of Superman wrapped in plastic, stashed in my basement. Like my first wif-oops, didn't mean to say that. Move along now, there's nothing to see here.