Monday, January 19, 2009

The Bale Tale.

Before I tell my story I think I need to give you a little background. Working at Wal-Mart we naturally have a lot of cardboard. We recycle most of it. We have a cardboard baler on each side of the store. Once the baler is full the cardboard is bundled up, held together by six wires. That number varies according to the size of the baler. Making a bale is not hard, but it is a pain in the butt to do. Most people ignore it and let the next one make it. A lot of times I am the next one. Sometimes I am too popular for my own good.

Saturday morning about 6:30 one of our assistant managers made a bale. He overfilled the baler. His excuse was the baler on the other side held that much cardboard. It is also bigger, which is why it holds more. When the bale came out three of the wires snapped. That is one of the hazards of bale making. You never stand in front of the bale when it comes out. Of course being a manager he delegates fixing the mess to a co-worker and me. He also called for any available associate to come help us. Of course with the room available only 2 people were needed and we were already there. Fortunately nobody else came. The only way to fix it was to cut the other 3 wires and remake the bale. We used about two-thirds of the cardboard, made a new bale, then put the rest in the baler. This is time consuming and we finally left the store at 7:30.

Sunday morning I went to make a bale but two of our ladies were almost finished making it. Once that is done the bale is taken outside. The back door is always kept locked so you have to call a manager to open it. One of the ladies who made the bale paged for the manager. I told her she should have said the bale that held together is ready to go out. She liked that idea and got back on the intercom and said that. Most nights we have two assistant managers. The second assistant was over in grocery and told us he got a laugh out of that page. He was standing with the assistant who had broke the bale when the page went out. The other assistant didn't quite see the humor in it. Some people are just too touchy.

Of course the answer to the weekend question is 92,465.

Today's question is Grade 3/Animal Science. True of False? The Alaskan malamute is a species of fish.

I am starting to feel smarter. I got this one and now am 10-5 on this.

No comments: